Building Commissioning Helps Facility Maintain Sustainability
Stanley Consultants provided enhanced commissioning services for the National Guard’s Readiness Center in Iowa City, IA. The center, also designed by Stanley Consultants, meets the requirements set by the U.S. Green Building Council for the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Rating. Design services included civil, architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural design for the new 110,000 square-foot environmentally friendly facility. The sustainably aspects of this facility include:
- Geothermal system
- Energy consumption reducing light fixtures
- Work areas with day lighting
- Energy star-compliant high-albedo roofing system.
In order to keep this facility's utilities operating efficiently, Stanley Consultants provided enhanced commissioning services which evaluates each operating system and fine-tunes them for optimal operating efficiency. The following systems were included in these commissioning services:
- Geothermal closed ground loop heat exchange system - the geothermal heat exchange system encompasses approximately 42,000 SF. This vertical-bore closed loop system extended to 180 feet below finish grade underneath the parking lot.
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Service water heaters and recirculation pump
- Fire alarm and protection systems
- Lighting - Lighting control; Daylight dimming controls; Occupancy sensors
- Emergency power system