FIRST U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS PROJECT
The firm’s first recorded work for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers occurs in 1942. The Chicago District contracted with the firm to conduct soil investigations in Lewiston, Illinois. The project number was #579.
WORLD WAR II PROJECTS
In 1942 and 1943, the company was involved with four military projects in South Dakota. Project #586 involved the design and construction of an Air Corps Technical School and air field at Sioux Falls with the project being completed in 18 weeks. Two air fields with some housing were built at Pierre and Watertown. The company provided design and construction services for these projects (#594 and #592). The Pierre project was completed in 90 days and Watertown in 120 days.
In 1943, the company received a contract from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to provide architectural, engineering, and construction inspection services for a prison of war camp in Scottsbluff, Nebraska (#600).
Stanley Consultants continues to provide services to the United States Army Corps of Engineers under tight schedules as it did during World War II.
HELPING HOME-O-NIZE COMPANY GET ESTABLISHED
Between 1943 and 1946, Stanley Engineering Company provided miscellaneous services to this start-up company in Muscatine. Max Stanley and two partners started the company near the end of World War II to provide local jobs to returning veterans. Stanley Engineering Company provided a variety of services to the fledgling company under project #666. Now known as HNI, the Muscatine-based firm is one of the largest office furniture companies in the world.
OSAGE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
In May 1948, Stanley Engineering began developing a city plan for the City of Osage. This project, #980, was the first comprehensive plan the company produced and was a forerunner of major city and regional planning work undertaken by Stanley Consultants over the years both for domestic and international clients.
HOSPITAL FEASIBILITY STUDY
In July 1947, Stanley Engineering Company began a study to determine the feasibility of building a hospital in Muscatine County. The project undertaken for the county board of supervisors resulted in the building of a publically financed facility in Muscatine. The project, #1104, was the company’s first hospital engagement. The county hospital continues to this day as a part of the Trinity Regional Health System serving Western Illinois and Eastern Iowa.
EAST KENTUCKY TRANSMISSION LINES
In April 1951, the company was retained by the East Kentucky Electric Cooperative Corporation in Winchester, Kentucky to prepare plans and specifications for 69 kV lines for its transmission system. This assignment, project #1445, is the first work performed for what is now known as East Kentucky Power Cooperative, Inc., a client Stanley Consultants continues to serve today.
FIRST OVERSEAS PROJECT
In April 1952, the company’s first overseas project was opened. Project #1600 consisted of an electrical layout for an iron ore loading plant in Venezuela. The facility was located 250 miles inland from the coast at the junction of the Orinoco and Caroni Rivers. All work on the project took place in the Muscatine office and no site visits were conducted. The client, Orinoco Mining Company, was a subsidiary of U.S. Steel.
PLANT EXPANSION for LIBERIA MINING COMPANY
In May 1956, Stanley Engineering Company began work on its first overseas project, #2050, requiring personnel to make on-site trips. The client, Liberia Mining Company, was owned by Republic Steel Corporation, a firm Stanley Engineering had worked for previously. Services included plans, specifications, and resident engineering for a 9000 horsepower expansion to the existing diesel plant.
100 MEGAWATT STEAM PLANT
Project #2934, a 100 megawatt steam plant for the East Kentucky Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation of Winchester, Kentucky, was opened in October 1960.
The project design and construction each took two years to complete. The completed project was turned over to the client in the fall of 1964.